Exquisite Corpse is a collaborative, chance-based drawing game invented by the Surrealists in the mid 1920s. Traditionally, each participant draws an image on part of a sheet of paper, folds the paper to conceal their work, and passes it on to the next player for their contribution. This is a modern version, with the entries received digitally, so team members can be anywhere in the world.
This is the 2nd week in a 3 week Exquisite Corpse Drawing Challenge. Share this e-invite with 2 friends of any age, anywhere in the world. Follow the instructions below, and without looking at each other’s drawings, send the pics to me by Tuesday April 11 at 11pm. Drawings will be digitally combined, and posted to our website. The winning team will receive Seattle Artist League painting aprons!
DRAWING CHALLENGE #2: CHICKEN COOP
- Take a piece of white typing paper, and choose something to draw with. You can draw (or collage) with anything you want, as long as it can be transferred into black and white.
- Fold your paper into thirds vertically (the last one was horizontally). This will divide the 3 sections for each of the 3 team players. The boundary of your drawing will be the orange line in the picture below. Be clear with your team who draws top (roof part), middle (house part), and bottom (base, ramp, and yard). Do not share any other information about your drawing.
- The drawings are going to need a way to connect with each other. If we were sitting at the table together the sequence would pick up where the previous drawing left off, but this is all over email, so they have to stop and start at a set location. For this, fold the same paper into thirds vertically. This gives you intersection marks on the drawing boundary lines. Your drawing can go wider, but the shape must must enter/exit at the 1/3 fold marks. Remember, the last drawing challenge “Animal” was with the paper tall, but for this one the paper will be wide, in the landscape format. You and your team members will still draw top, middle, bottom.
EMAIL YOUR DRAWINGS:
- Choose a team name.
- Communicate who draws the top (roof), who draws the middle (chicken house), and who draws the bottom (base, ramp, and yard). Don’t share any other information.
- Email me a photo of your drawings by 11pm Tuesday April 11, 2017. Include your team name and the names of the other people you’re drawing with. Repeating this info in every email is helpful. Tell me who was top, middle, bottom, so I know which drawings go with which and who to credit for what portion. I’ll assemble and post all the drawings by next Thursday.
Email your drawings to: